Saturday, February 25, 2006

Cooking With Doc Johnson

This morning in the Johnson household, we are having a fine breakfast (and you wondered why I was a fat bastard).

I am making a baked omelette. I first had this when I interviewed at Wayne State University in Detroit. We went out to this local IHOP style restaurant that's famous for its ridiculous omelettes and pancakes. It was the first time I'd encounted a baked omelette. They seem to cook a bit fluffier. I'm cooking mine open-faced, rather than fucking around w/ making the fold. It'll be fine that way too. The ingredients, in the order they went into the 12 inch cast iron skillet:

Minced garlic and sweet onion
Egg mixture (includes 6 eggs, a dash of milk, chopped turkey pepperoni, basil, ground pepper medley, greek spice)
Chopped spinach
A light layer of provolone and white cheddar (shredded)
Diced Tomatoes
Chopped baby portabello mushrooms
Another light layer of same cheeses
Smoked turkey



Bake it for about 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. You can tell when it's done if it doesn't wiggle in the middle when you shake it a bit.

Serve like you'd like to. We're having some turkey sausage on the side. Some days we might make grits or biscuits or maybe some toast, but I'll probably skip it this morning. The other side is fresh strawberries.

Now, don't you feel like you've learned something today, even if it's just that you are hungry?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm...
that does sound good, minus the turkey.
I am hungry and I've left my lunch at home. =(