Sunday, November 20, 2005

I'm Back

I'm back from Boston. Got back last night, was completely exhausted. Unfortunately, I had to go to a birthday party for a friend of ours. I wasn't too much fun. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm kind of schizoid in terms of social life. Like this: I just spent about three days surrounded by 5,000 people. The only times I had alone were few, when I would go back to my room at night (late) and in the morning. But even that was weird, because it was in a hotel room, not my personal space, my comfort zone, surrounded with the things that make it my place. I got to see a whole lot of friends, but even that is a bit exhausting, because it's not like people you're around all the time. I felt the need to try a lot harder, if you know what I mean. So, I didn't get much sleep, and on top of that, I interacted a lot. I mean I like people and all, but I don't always find that being social recharges and energizes me. Instead, I feel the need to be silent and still, and alone in my head with something that reminds me of the different between me and the rest of the world. Maybe that's because I have a sense of self that is at once strong and weak. Strong in the sense that I manifest strongly, and weak in the sense that I have what may be a hyperrefined sense of the interpersonal. I manifest both as the me I know and as the me others remember and, especially, as the me that is most needed in the given situation. As a result, I think the boudaries between self/others/environment get sort of blurred and I need time to remind myself to act normally. It's draining. Does anyone know what I mean? Does this happen to you too?

The conference itself was fabulous. I loved Boston. Wouldn't mind living there if I had the money to do it (I don't). I managed to locate three or four potential publishers for my book. It's a lot easier for me to pitch my work than it was to pitch myself, like I did on the academic job search. It was fun to talk about the possibilities. Now I have to get some more stuff written, and then try to get a proposal and three or four chapters together.

I met a lot of new people there, particularly people who are working on some of the theoretical stuff I'm interested in. I'm a big fan of Kenneth Burke, an American scholar whose project was, more or less, to reconcile Marx and Freud. That is, to try to figure out a way to make the environment (material conditions of life, of production, etc.) and the mind (the conscious, unconscious, etc.) key elements of describing human cognition, intellect, subjectivity, action, motivation, etc. Hard to read, but ultimately worth it. I went to the KB interest group business meeting, met some folks, and volunteered myself to review papers for next year's NCA in San Antonio. They seem very cool.

I also had a chance to hang out with some old friends. That was the best. I've been in the academic game for about ten years now (since I started grad school) and it's cool to see how, over the long term, people get work done (or don't), find happiness in work and relationships (0r don't) and more or less to see how cool and weird their (and your) lives are. It really makes me think a lot about advising undergraduates. A lot of people at that stage think in terms of jobs and careers. I try to tell them that it's hard to plan life that way. You start off toward the goal, but you ultimately don't have much control over the specific outcome. Instead, to get a little Zen here, one should live in the moment, enjoy and work on a good process of living, and then find themselves in a good place, even if it's not quite what you expected. It's hard to tell that to people who've been told all of their lives that they are in control, that they can plan, that they are accountable for what happens. It's not that simple. It never is.

So, no big things to report beyond that. For those of you who have been following me, I have a request: Help me write my book. I would like to get a list of you who are willing to talk about school, learning, boredom, happiness, guilt, excitement, etc., in learning. I want to talk about how you manifest yourselves through intellectual and practical pursuits, work, play and life. The only thing is you have to be eighteen or older. I'd love to be able to talk to everyone, but it's hard to get that kind of research proposal through an institutional review board. You need parental permission, and so forth. Hard to do with your "virtual friends," no?

Let me know if you are interested.

4 comments:

Brendan said...

> I mean I like people and all, but I don't always
> find that being social recharges and energizes me.

According to the theory on introversion-extroversion, those high in introversion tend to depleted by lots of external activity, whereas extraverts and energized by it. Exactly what you describe.

I'm exactly the same way. I think that's the biggest problem I have with school aside from the content itself and the schedule.

The only exception is when the interaction involves particularly interesting online interactions (maybe because that involves more introversion-related processes).

> I manifest both as the me I know and as the me
> others remember and, especially, as the me that
> is most needed in the given situation. As a result,
> I think the boudaries between self/others/environment
> get sort of blurred and I need time to remind myself
> to act normally. It's draining.

I think I know what you're saying... I guess it would take some examples to be sure, but that probably explains very much a lot of my difficulties (especially acutely.) Like, when I go to class, or to talk with my professors, the "me that is most needed" is the compliant, deferent student-self. But later, when I reflect on things overall, I am frustrated by school to an almost exaggerated degree. And this leads me to "need" to withdraw and sort things out a bit, or else being around others is especially draining.

> A lot of people at that stage think in terms of jobs
> and careers. I try to tell them that it's hard to
> plan life that way. You start off toward the goal,
> but you ultimately don't have much control over the
> specific outcome. Instead, to get a little Zen here,
> one should live in the moment, enjoy and work on a
> good process of living, and then find themselves in a
> good place, even if it's not quite what you expected.

It's funny how it often is when people are advising me. If I talk about how I've been "living in the moment," "getting into the process" and so on (which almost definitely doesn't involve doing schoolwork), they respond with talk about responsibility and how necessary and important classes are. But if I emphasize the importance of future, planning, career, etc., and how school isn't preparing me, they go back to advocating the "living in the moment," "not being concerned where things are going," mode, and how not everything is about one's future career -- in an attempt to get me to approach classes that way and not question their exact future-benefit. But to me, either the Zen-like approach or the hyperfocusing-on-career approach usually leads me to want to work on things other than what's assigned, or even going to class after a certain point. So... it's kind of a weird situation.

> You need parental permission, and so forth.
> Hard to do with your "virtual friends," no?

I don't know about the IRB complications, but I've seen at least one internet-based study (involving sensitive subject matter), in which permission was obtained by getting written permission (via mail) from both the a parent and the participant, plus phone confirmation from the parent.

SoulRiser said...

Maybe that's because I have a sense of self that is at once strong and weak. Strong in the sense that I manifest strongly, and weak in the sense that I have what may be a hyperrefined sense of the interpersonal. I manifest both as the me I know and as the me others remember and, especially, as the me that is most needed in the given situation.

I think I know exactly what you mean. I like being with people, for limited amounts of time, then I need to take a step back and be alone and just generally ponder things. Usually things about what just happened while I was with the people :P

Anonymous said...

I manifest both as the me I know and as the me others remember and, especially, as the me that is most needed in the given situation. As a result, I think the boudaries between self/others/environment get sort of blurred and I need time to remind myself to act normally. It's draining.

I've searched for the proper way to word that for a very, very long time.

Doc Johnson said...

B--

I love you man. I'm glad I could provide, because it always seems like I"m taking something from you.

Doc