Monday, November 28, 2005

Okay, I lied. I'm back

I was over on the Misled Youth Network Forums and kid_prototype, one of the co-founders of the organization posted some really cool stuff, especially the kid's latest self-portrait.

It really made me start thinking about another place I had been, The National Vietnam Veterans' Art Museum. It's in Chicago, and if you ever get a chance: Go! You won't regret it. Incredible. Click on the Our Artists link to see some of the works.

Gone, now, from the museum is Ned Broderick, a brother Marine and one of the most incredible painters I've ever had the chance to see. I really wish I knew where he was...

Anyway, check it out. Think about how art education can be a path to healing, self-discovery, and, at least potentially, greater happiness. Then think about why school music and art programs are chronically underfunded. Football, but no painting? Cheerleading, but no creative writing? Tests, but no graffiti.

It's a poor world we're busy creating here, isn't it boys and girls?

No comments: